Google Instant Messenger

Network security, programming, and other computer related nerd talk so we can impress all the women. Nerds need love too.

Google Instant Messenger

Postby hagrin » Wed Aug 24, 2005 2:49 am

http://talk.google.com

Google, in all its wisdom, has released an Instant Messaging client that allows for single click VoIP calls to other Google Talk users. It makes VoIP calling as easy as having a microphone and hitting one button. The voice quality is great as I could even hear a TV in the background of one user. IMO, this is a better solution than even Skype in terms of ease of use.

The only drawbacks is that it is basically featureless right now, but Google always provides good, stripped down software products that aren't bloated.

Requirements: A Gmail (Google e-mail) address.

To add me, invite mailto:hagrin@gmail.com
User avatar
hagrin
Keeper of the Boards
 
Posts: 9130
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2005 2:17 pm
Location: Garden City, NY

Postby hagrin » Wed Aug 24, 2005 2:58 am

Also, an Easter Egg has already been found in the Google Talk program. If you right click on the Google Talk systray icon and choose About, you will see some light gray text at the bottom of the window that reads -

"play 23 21 13 16 21 19 7 1 13 5"

This translates to play wumpus game.

Once you have Google Talk installed, click Add friend and invite "wumpus.game@gmail.com". When this user finally pops online, type "play" in a chat window with wumpus.game and you will be prompted to either play or read instructions.

Enjoy ... more to follow (i.e. instructions).
User avatar
hagrin
Keeper of the Boards
 
Posts: 9130
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2005 2:17 pm
Location: Garden City, NY

Wumpus Game Instructions

Postby hagrin » Wed Aug 24, 2005 3:11 am

The following are the instructions for the Wumpus Classic Game through Google Talk -

wumpus.game: Welcome to 'Hunt the Wumpus'. the Wumpus lives in a cave of 20 rooms. Each room has 3 tunnels leading to other rooms. (Look at a dodecahedron to see how this works - if you don't know what a dodecahedron is, ask someone).

Hazards:
Bottomless Pits - two rooms have bottomless pits in them. if you go there, you fall into the pit (& lose).
Super Bats - two other rooms have super bats. If you go there, a bat grabs you and takes you to some other room at random (which may be troublesome).

Wumpus: the Wumpus is not bothered by hazards (he has sucker feet and is too big for a bat to lift). Usually, he is asleep. Two things wake him up: you shooting an arrow or you entering his room.

If the Wumpus wakes, he moves (probability = 75%) one room or stays still (probability = 25%). After that, if he is where you are, he eats you up and you lose!

You:
Each turn you may move or shoot a crooked arrow.
Moving: You can move one room (thru one tunnel)
Arrows: You have 5 arrows. You lose when you run out, Each arrow can go from 1 to 5 rooms. You aim by telling the computer the room #s you want the arrow to go to. If the arrow can't go that way (i.e. if there is no tunnel), it moves at random to the next room. If the arrow hits the wumpus, you win. if the arrow hits you, you lose.

Warnings:
When you are one room away from a wumpus or hazard, the computer says:
Wumpus: 'I smell a Wumpus'
Bat: 'Bats Nearby'
Pit: ' I feel a Draft'

(game starts at this point and you are prompted to Shoot or Move).
User avatar
hagrin
Keeper of the Boards
 
Posts: 9130
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2005 2:17 pm
Location: Garden City, NY

Postby z6 » Wed Aug 24, 2005 6:32 pm

wumpus.game: AHA! YOU GOT THE WUMPUS!
HEE HEE HEE - THE WUMPUS'LL GET YOU NEXT TIME
SAME SETUP (Y-N)
User avatar
z6
+1 Addict
 
Posts: 3036
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2005 2:48 pm

Postby hagrin » Thu Aug 25, 2005 2:26 pm

http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=363145 - good forum posting on some Google hacks after running the .exe through a debugger.

Thanks to z6 for this link.
User avatar
hagrin
Keeper of the Boards
 
Posts: 9130
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2005 2:17 pm
Location: Garden City, NY

Postby z6 » Fri Aug 26, 2005 5:19 pm

User avatar
z6
+1 Addict
 
Posts: 3036
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2005 2:48 pm

Postby hagrin » Sun Sep 25, 2005 12:12 pm

http://www.customizetalk.com/pages/inde ... =downloads - link that allows you to use multiple instances of Google Talk at once.
User avatar
hagrin
Keeper of the Boards
 
Posts: 9130
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2005 2:17 pm
Location: Garden City, NY

Postby hagrin » Tue Oct 04, 2005 1:38 pm

http://www.gtalkprofile.com/

Found this link in a Slashot user's signature.
User avatar
hagrin
Keeper of the Boards
 
Posts: 9130
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2005 2:17 pm
Location: Garden City, NY

Postby hagrin » Mon Oct 10, 2005 1:08 am

Google Talk 1.0.0.72 Beta released today -

http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/Go ... 24848055/1

Edit: They also updated the icon for Google Talk which can be seen here:
Image
User avatar
hagrin
Keeper of the Boards
 
Posts: 9130
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2005 2:17 pm
Location: Garden City, NY

Google Talk Video

Postby hagrin » Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:17 pm

http://www.festooninc.com/

They are offering a Plug-In for Google Talk that allows you to video conference as well.
User avatar
hagrin
Keeper of the Boards
 
Posts: 9130
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2005 2:17 pm
Location: Garden City, NY

Postby ritch » Sun Nov 20, 2005 10:09 pm

Have you tried GoogleTalk yet? What's it like? (Screenshots?) Also, I know Sean Egan, the lead developer for GoogleTalk. He dropped out of Binghamton and got a job at Google this semester. The kid was kinda a douchebag, but I can't say much now since he's doing well.

He got the lead development position of gAIM cause the original guy dropped out, and that's how it all started... This kid has a ****' book out now! :)
ritch
Newbie
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:48 pm

Postby hacker » Sun Nov 20, 2005 10:13 pm

ritch wrote:Have you tried GoogleTalk yet? What's it like? (Screenshots?) Also, I know Sean Egan, the lead developer for GoogleTalk. He dropped out of Binghamton and got a job at Google this semester. The kid was kinda a douchebag, but I can't say much now since he's doing well.

He got the lead development position of gAIM cause the original guy dropped out, and that's how it all started... This kid has a ****' book out now! :)


Serious?

Well, it's not nearly as good as Skype IMO. It lacks serious IM capabilities such as file transfers, logging, multiple instances, groups, better away message UI, etc.

The only benefits of Google Talk is the ease in creating an actual VoIP session. It's seriously point and click - can't get much simpler. No one uses it though even though they can use it with any Jabber client. All of my "friends" are offline 100% of the time.

It does come with a nice Gmail Notifier though.
User avatar
hacker
Contributor
 
Posts: 157
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2005 7:19 pm


Return to Computers, Mobile Devices & Programming

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

cron