Anyone ever done the Rippetoe program?

For all of you who have your favorite channels set to ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN U, ESPN Classic, ESPN News, FOX Sports, etc.

Anyone ever done the Rippetoe program?

Postby sliyurs » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:35 pm

I'm looking to get into some weight lifting to tone up a bit. But if i do it I want to have a program to follow...

Anyone ever known anyone who has done the Rippetoe program? It says it's for beginners and statistically has some pretty crazy results (if their true or not is another matter lol).

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/wotw52.htm
sliyurs
+1 Addict

Re: Anyone ever done the Rippetoe program?

Postby hagrin » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:49 pm

Nope sorry.

As a runner, I've done very little focus on lifting.
hagrin
Keeper of the Boards

Postby Junren.Is.Ohio » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:55 pm

looks pretty good as those exercises are the ones that target the most muscle groups. that's actually pretty close to what i do with the exception of squats (i know they're good times but they hurt me too much lol). when i work out that is lol. been sticking mostly to cardio and some toning lifting of late.
Junren.Is.Ohio
Makes Love to Hep C

Postby shon_tsu » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:58 am

Authors Note: This workout was originally posted on the Bodybuilding.com Forums by the following member: MATTA114. It is based on a program from the book Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe & Lon Kilgore.

I dont know about the workout, but Starting Strength is one of the most highly recommended lifting books around, so as long as it follows the principles relatively closely it should be good. Exercises are good compound lifts, with a focus on lifting heavy rather than endurance which I like. Definately do the chinups and dips, and throw some hanging leg raises in as recommended.

Really, looks pretty solid. I'd consider doing it if I fail to keep things up and needed to start again.
shon_tsu
Zealot

Postby shon_tsu » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:02 am

Junren.Is.Ohio wrote:with the exception of squats (i know they're good times but they hurt me too much lol). when i work out that is lol.

I read a great quote once, that if you hurt doing squats, then you're probably not doing squats. Form is really important, especially once the weight gets moving up.

I picked up this recently: http://www.amazon.com/New-Rules-Lifting ... 899&sr=8-1

I'm in pretty much a maintenance stage atm until my last big ride is over (150km in 5 weeks), then I'll start working on routines in that for the next 12 months or so.
shon_tsu
Zealot

Postby Sexual Healing » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:46 am

IMO start off with a 3 day split of Push/Pull/Legs for a few weeks before you jump into any bodybuilding programs.
Sexual Healing
The MMA Expert

Postby shon_tsu » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:41 am

Did you even read the program?
shon_tsu
Zealot

Postby sliyurs » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:45 pm

Thanks for all the advice guys. I think me and my roommate are going to start this up next week.

Definitely not going to eat the recommended amount though lol. I'm already a tad overweight, I don't need to get huge.
sliyurs
+1 Addict

Return to Sports & Fitness