You are hereInstalling mcrypt on a GoDaddy Linux Virtual Dedicated Server (VDS)
Installing mcrypt on a GoDaddy Linux Virtual Dedicated Server (VDS)
Recently, I was given a consulting project to develop an e-commerce site and I immediately thought of Magento - an open source e-commerce solution written in PHP. Magento is one of the better pieces of software that goes widely unknown by many since very few people develop e-commerce sites (as opposed to say Drupal where everyone and their kids are bloggers).
However, upon installation of Magento on my GoDaddy Linux Virtual Dedicated Server (VDS), the installation will stall on the mcrypt dependency. The mcrypt library stores several algorithms that help secure your e-commerce site's data. Unfortunately, by default, the GoDaddy VDS package does not have the mcrypt library installed. To install mcrypt, follow these steps -
- SSH into your VDS with your favorite SSH client or the SSH Java applet offered by GoDaddy.
- Login with your credentials.
- Su to the root user.
- Type "yum install mcrypt*". Say yes to the prompts.
- Type "yum install mhash*". Say yes to the prompts.
- Type "yum install php-mcrypt*". Say yes to the prompts.
- Type "yum install php-mhash*". Say yes to the prompts.
- Restart the server.
Once the server has restarted, you can re-run the Magento installation and you will be able to successfully complete the wizard.